Wednesday, September 7, 2011
9:19 PM Christian Lamitschka No comments
SAMMY SHELOR WINS THE STEVE MARTIN PRIZE FOR EXCELLENCE IN BANJO AND BLUEGRASS
Shelor And The Lonesome River Band Will Perform With Martin On “Late Show With David Letterman” On November 3
LOS ANGELES, CA—September 7, 2011—Sammy Shelor is the recipient of the second annual Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo and Bluegrass. Sammy is the extraordinary banjoist for the Lonesome River Band, playing contemporary, tradition-based Scruggs-style banjo with impeccable timing, drive, and a master's touch. His leadership of the Lonesome River Band has kept them at the top of the bluegrass field for over two decades. He is a member of the Virginia Music Hall of Fame, and has been honored four times by the International Bluegrass Music Association as Banjo Player of the Year.
The Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo and Bluegrass has been created to bring recognition to an individual or group for outstanding accomplishment in the field of five-string banjo or bluegrass music. It is hoped that by highlighting the extraordinary musicianship of these artists, that bluegrass, and bluegrass-related music will enjoy an increased appreciation world-wide.
The prize is awarded to a person or group who has given us a fresh appreciation of this music, either through artistry, composition, innovation or preservation. The winner should be professional or semi-professional, should be currently active in their careers and deserving of a wider audience.
The honoree will receive an unrestricted cash prize of fifty-thousand dollars, as well as a bronze sculpture created expressly for the prize by noted artist Eric Fischl.
The award is determined through a private process by a board consisting of Earl Scruggs, Pete Wernick, Tony Trischka, Anne Stringfield, Alison Brown, Neil V. Rosenberg, Béla Fleck and Steve Martin. The award is funded personally by the Steve Martin Charitable Foundation.
Additionally, Sammy Shelor and the Lonesome River Band will perform with Steve Martin on “Late Show With David Letterman” on Thursday, November 3.
Posted in: Country Music News
- Christina Lamitschka on Facebook
- Country Music News International Group on LinkIn
- Country Music News International Group on Facebook
- Country Music News International Group on Google+
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Monday and Wednesday 15:00 - 17:00 (GMT) 16:00 - 18:00 Central European Time 9 am - 11 am Nashville Time On Tyrone Radio
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Tuesday and Thursday 1100 - 1300 (GMT) 12:00 - 14:00 Central European Time 6 am - 8 am Nashville Time On Irish Country Radio
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Wednesday 11:00 - 13:00 (GMT) 12:00 - 14:00 Central European Time 6 am - 8 am Nashville Time On Country Kanalen
- Courtyard Nashville Downtown
- Dallas Music
- Eagle Country Radio
- Eliza Music
- Lucy Malheur
- Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Richard Lynch
- Stephanie Grace
- Tennessee Tourism
- ► July (83)
- ► June (133)
- ► May (139)
- ► April (152)
- ► March (106)
- ► February (88)
- ► January (126)
- ► December (95)
- ► November (91)
- ► October (63)
- ► September (131)
- ► August (174)
- ► July (208)
- ► June (179)
- ► May (220)
- ► April (190)
- ► March (188)
- ► February (164)
- ► January (227)
- ► December (171)
- ► November (206)
- ► October (227)
- ► September (243)
- ► August (229)
- ► July (256)
- ► June (221)
- ► May (317)
- ► April (287)
- ► March (245)
- ► February (248)
- ► January (231)
- ► December (217)
- ► November (249)
- ► October (273)
- MUCH LOVE FEATURING VINCE GILL, RICKY SKAGGS, SAM ...
- Shawna Russell Lands #1 Single in Europe
- Initial slate of performers announced for IBMA
- LADY ANTEBELLUM SETS PLANS WITH FANS
- SAMMY SHELOR WINS BANJO AND BLUEGRASS PRIZE
- Janie Fricke and Moore & Moore Join The Roys
- NRA COUNTRY AND LUKE BRYAN HIT THE ROAD TOGETHER A...
- Country Music News of the Day / Country Musik News...
- Jeremy McComb message to the Fans
- JACK GREENE GRAND OLE OPRY SUPERSTAR
- Sammy Shelor Wins Steve Martin Prize
- ERIC CHURCH NOMINATED AS CMA’S NEW ARTIST OF THE Y...
- Tim Montana’s Freedom’s Never Free and Lea’s Praye...
- ▼ Sep 07 (13)
- ► August (236)
- ► July (248)
- ► June (262)
- ► May (193)
- ► April (329)
- ► March (372)
Powered by Blogger.