Tuesday, May 24, 2011
10:25 PM Christian Lamitschka No comments
BATH PUTS AMERICANA ON THE MAP
Bath's recent Americana Festival, the brainchild of Cllr. Bryan Chalker (who becomes Mayor of Bath on June 4) has proved to be a great critical and artistic success, with audiences right across the age spectrum clamouring to hear more of Valerie Smith & Liberty Pike, the Thunderbridge Bluegrass Boys, Tjaye Martin, Ian Calford & The Railmen, Bob Fish and all the others who turned out to make incredible music from May 18-22.
Chalker, a long-time devotee and former exponent of all forms of old-time country music, spent a total of nine months putting the Festival together and it sprang to life on Wednesday, May 18 with a remarkable concert at St. Mark's School, Lambridge, Bath, presented by Charlie Boston's Olde Boston Tea Party bluegrass ensemble featuring Ced Thorose (dobro) and Dave Hatfield (upright bass and vocals). Other schools in the area were treated to Appalachian clogging, courtesy of the Applejacks and Kate Lissauer & Jenny, and an innovative 'bluegrass workshop' led by local singer-songwriter Tjaye Martin and attracting nineteen musicians - of all ages - to create Bath's first Bluegrass Orchestra. Ian Calford's three-piece unit, which recreates the Johnny Cash sound of the mid-'50s, was augmented by Jane Ballantyne (fiddle) and Bob Fish (autoharp) to create a 'Johnny Cash Meets The Carter Family' element - and Leon Hunt & The Scoville Units proved that bluegrass music can deviate from the mainstream to become hugely innovative and attract a huge following.
The Americana Festival was also an opportunity for the curious to sample the delights of Appalachian style music for the first time and leave the event wanting more. Even Bryan Chalker was tempted out of musical retirement to perform three songs with Tjaye Martin and has now been asked if he will consider putting together a bluegrass-style group during his year as Mayor of Bath and fronting it as lead vocalist. As one lady was heard to say at Brian Golbey's American Museum performance on May 22, "Chalker's going to be one cool mayor!"
In the meantime Brian Chalker is looking to make bluegrass music more prominent on the Bath landscape with regular performances in a couple of the city’s venues – and several musicians have already volunteered their services. More details to be announced shortly.
Posted in: Country Music News
- Christina Lamitschka on Facebook
- Country Music News International Group on LinkIn
- Country Music News International Group on Facebook
- Country Music News International Group on Google+
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Monday and Wednesday 15:00 - 17:00 (GMT) 16:00 - 18:00 Central European Time 9 am - 11 am Nashville Time On Tyrone Radio
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Tuesday and Thursday 1100 - 1300 (GMT) 12:00 - 14:00 Central European Time 6 am - 8 am Nashville Time On Irish Country Radio
- Country Music News International Radio Show Every Wednesday 11:00 - 13:00 (GMT) 12:00 - 14:00 Central European Time 6 am - 8 am Nashville Time On Country Kanalen
- Courtyard Nashville Downtown
- Dallas Music
- Eagle Country Radio
- Eliza Music
- Lucy Malheur
- Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Richard Lynch
- Stephanie Grace
- Tennessee Tourism
- ► July (90)
- ► June (133)
- ► May (139)
- ► April (152)
- ► March (106)
- ► February (88)
- ► January (126)
- ► December (95)
- ► November (91)
- ► October (63)
- ► September (131)
- ► August (174)
- ► July (208)
- ► June (179)
- ► May (220)
- ► April (190)
- ► March (188)
- ► February (164)
- ► January (227)
- ► December (171)
- ► November (206)
- ► October (227)
- ► September (243)
- ► August (229)
- ► July (256)
- ► June (221)
- ► May (317)
- ► April (287)
- ► March (245)
- ► February (248)
- ► January (231)
- ► December (217)
- ► November (249)
- ► October (273)
- ► September (308)
- ► August (236)
- ► July (248)
- ► June (262)
- BATH PUTS AMERICANA ON THE MAP
- TORONTO-BORN, L.A. BASED COUNTRY ARTIST BRANDON JA...
- ERIC CHURCH FINDS GOLD IN CAROLINA
- LUCAS HOGE JOINS ARMED FORCES ENTERTAINMENT'S WR...
- THE SECRET SISTERS GARNER AMERICANA MUSIC AWARD NO...
- REO SPEEDWAGON’S 30-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF MULTI-PLAT...
- Rodney Brown Tour Info
- Country Music News of the Day / Country Musik News...
- LoCash Cowboys’ Man v. Food Nation Challenge Airs ...
- DIERKS BENTLEY’S “MILES & MUSIC FOR KIDS” RAISES O...
- Robert Plant & Elizabeth Cook Lead Nominee Class o...
- 30TH EUROPEAN TOUR SOUTH MOUNTAIN
- Congratulations to ALL the 2011 Americana Music Aw...
- THE ALL-STAR JAM – LIVE AT GRAVES MOUNTAIN
- RASCAL FLATTS LAND 13th #1 SINGLE WITH “I WON’T LE...
- Entertainment Circle Airs Their Exclusive Intervie...
- TAYLOR SWIFT WINS THREE BILLBOARD MUSIC AWARDS, IN...
- ▼ May 24 (17)
- ► April (329)
- ► March (372)
Powered by Blogger.